|History of Irvington
On September 20,
1887 R.M. Jolly and Edgar Bennett purchased three tracts of land,
which constitute the land that is now Irvington. When the Louisville,
St. Louis, and Texas Railroad became a reality, the town plot was
laid out and recorded in the Breckinridge County Clerk’s office
at Hardinsburg in January 1889. The Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas
railroad was built through Irvington in 1888 and the first train
was run in the fall of that year.
Jolly and Bennett
chose their town site with care. It was to lie at the southern
end of Elk Grove tract between the farms of Bate Washington and
Richard Bandy. It would be located at the junction of the Louisville,
St. Louis, and Texas with its daughter line, the Louisville Hardinsburg,
and Western (the branch line), and the Brandenburg-Hardinsburg
road. The underground Sinking Creek cave system would assure a
steady supply of water.
The new railroad and depot divided the town in roughly equal
sections. On December 26, 1888, the Merino post office in Peter
P. Robert’s store was renamed Irvington.
Schools were built and a mill was built near the depot. Two churches
relocated here in 1887, the First Baptist on Union Avenue and
a Methodist Church, which would later be dedicated at Clair Memorial
By 1896 the town was on its way. The railroad had built a round
house and a coal tipple adjacent to the depot. This coal tipple
was the only place between Louisville and Owensboro for trains
to receive coal. Later Mrs. Nora Board would make her lunch room
across from the station a railroad lunch stop, famous for her
ham sandwiches and chess pie.
We started as a railroad town and even though the trains are
not so many any more and not dependent on the coal tipple, our
railroad will always be the “Main Line” to the ones
who remember when……..
President of the Woman’s Club
1975 - 1976